Baking is something that most of us enjoy. At times, baking is not really a piece of cake and can turn out to be overwhelming, especially for first timers. The secret here is to understand the different ways in which you can bake a cake and choosing one that suits you best.
Cakes are mostly baked in ovens. But that isn’t the only way to go. If you have always used an oven for baking delicious cakes, you could try out the alternatives as they look just the same and taste just as good. You have two options besides the oven: Pressure Cooker and Microwave. Given below are two alternatives to using an oven for baking cakes and the ways in which you can do so:
- Pressure Cooker
Most people did not own an oven and had resorted to utilizing a pressure cooker to take care of their baking needs. There are a few things to consider while using a pressure cooker for baking:
*A pressure cooker reduces the amount of time taken for baking a cake.
*An aluminum pressure cooker works best, so therefore avoid a non-stick one.
*A separator (steel tray that the cake tin sits on) and baking tin (cake tin) are required to be placed in the pressure cooker.
*Keep away the whistle and gasket as they are not required.
The following steps need to be kept in mind while baking a cake in a pressure cooker:
- Pre-heat the pressure cooker for around ten minutes on high flame.
- Place the separator inside the pressure cooker. This separator will ensure that your pressure cooker does not get damaged. You can alternatively line the inside of the pressure cooker with parchment paper, but a separator and baking tin is the easier option.
- Once you have prepared the cake batter, grease the baking tin and the pour the batter into it.
- Tap the sides of the baking tin to avoid air bubbles from forming.
- Place the baking tin onto the separator in the pressure cooker.
- Cover the pressure cooker and reduce the flame.
- Allow the cake to cook. The time will depend on the batter and baking tin size.
In recent times with the invention of the microwave it was soon discovered that the microwave too, can handle a bit of baking. The coolest thing besides using a microwave to bake a cake is that you can bake one within a couple of minutes as well! The recipes available on the internet are numerous and have one thing in common: They are super easy. The most recent craze in microwave cakes are mug cakes as they are baked in a mug within minutes. They taste delicious and can be baked hassle-free.
All you need while baking a microwave cake are:
*Microwave safe bowl or mug depending on how you would like your cake to turn out. Ramekins are the safest and best option for baking a cake in a microwave
*Oil spray to grease the baking bowl, mug or ramekin.
*Plastic wrap to cover the baking bowl, mug or ramekin while in the microwave.
Follow the ways given below while using a microwave to bake a cake:
- Combine the various ingredients to make your cake batter.
- Grease the baking bowl, mug or ramekin.
- Pour the batter into the baking bowl, mug or ramekin.
- Cover it with plastic wrap
- Leave a bit of the plastic wrap open. This allows the steam to get out.
- Bake it in the microwave. The minutes will depend on the batter and recipe. Remember every microwave is different and therefor it is a must to have adequate knowledge on the working of your microwave lest you may overcook the cake.
- Once baked, take off the plastic wrap and with the help of a butter knife you can easily get it onto a tray.
Even if you are not one who is comfortable with experimenting, these baking alternatives are guaranteed to give you the desired result. You can give your oven a break and try the pressure cooker or microwave for a change. And if you do now own an oven, no issue! Because you do not need to buy one, thanks to the alternatives.